For years, I have been trying to get rid of my habit of black tea with sugar + milk. I live in place where everyone walks around with one nose and one Starbucks cup (Seattle). I can blame my habit on rainy and cloudy days in Seattle but ultimately, I wanted to remove sugar and milk with tea.
Other than trying various types of tea with water only, now I am this spicy drink which takes a little bit preparation but allows me a lot of variation.
Also, you can create this in bulk and it has shelf life of a week
Here is recipe along with variations….
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp black mustard seeds
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp black pepper powder
1 pinch of Asafoetida powder
Few leaves of cilantro
1 tsp oil
3 Roma tomato (make puree in blender)
3 cup water
1 tsp tamarind paste (If you have tamarind block and sock and take out the juice, you would need about 1/3 cup as it will be diluted)
1. Boil tomato puree with water.(Add tomato and water in pot and when it starts boiling, let it simmer for 15 minutes)
2. Now in smaller pan, heat oil and add all spices (this will roast spices and bring out the flavor)
3. Add tamarind past/water.
4. This is ready to consume.
1. You can skip all or some of the spices if you find the list overwhelming or you do not like some of the spices.
2. You can replace tamarind with ½ tsp lemon or lime juice.
3. You can chop and sauté tomato and then boil it. This will taste better.